Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kelli Murray - An Artist Interview & Look Book

Hi Everyone,

So excited to get you pumped this Monday morning by this amazing illustrator, painter, blogger, fashion inspiration, designer, and pretty much everything we here at Inspiration Den adore! 



I first stumbled upon Kelli's work on Pinterest. Everyone at Inspiration Den has a special place our hearts for paper & illustration, and this artist just blew our minds... It was her
LET'S CELEBRATE invitation which caught our attention. I loved this invite so much I needed see more. I was totally inspired by her blog, and found out that Kelli was not only a talented designer, but that she also has a knack for fashion and a super cute daughter! 

So, without further ado, I would like to introduce you to Kelli Murray...






LWF: How would you describe your art in 10 words?

KM: Oh, this is terribly hard.  I would say my art is endearing, sweet and sometimes heart provoking.  Usually composed of dreamy girls and/or their animal friends.  (and that was over ten words!)  

 LWF: What inspires you and how do you start the creative process?  

KM: I am inspired by so many things.  Mainly nature and fashion and people.  I love to draw little animals and have really taken to illustrating female portraits.  All of my artwork starts with just a quick sketch of something I am inspired by.  I try to have a notebook with me all the time for this reason!  Weather it's something I saw in a book or online...or something in my own life.  Lately, I have been really enjoying using pencil and watercolor on paper.  But most of my work is done on wood panels using acrylic paint.    

LWF: Do you have any words of wisdom or encouragement for artists who are just honing their craft?  

KM: Just keep creating.  Defining your style as an artist does not come overnight.  In fact, I think it's a journey that never ends. But just like anything, the more you practice, the better you will get.  Just don't give up.

LWF: I see you're the head designer for Jedediah Clothing Company... Can you tell us a little bit about it?  

KM: I actually am in desperate need of a website update, so my current bio is a bit misleading.  I worked for Jedidiah for 6 years as the head designer, but decided to go full time freelance when I had my daughter in August of last year.  When I was working full time for them, my main roles were in graphic design and merchandising, and I worked with a team of other talented designers to create a full product line each season.  It was an amazing job and there are parts of it I do miss....but going freelance has allowed me to be at home with my daughter and also dive more deeply into my personal art and illustration.  Which is really my passion.













Contact Information & Shop for Kelli Murray


No comments:

Post a Comment